As most programmers, I have several projects I have been either thinking about or tinkering around with for years. These projects are not the most “sexy”. They are things I have wanted to build for my family over the years.
I know that these projects are not really anything new. I could probably find apps out there that accomplish a lot of what I want to accomplish with them. However, I would rather build my own for a couple reasons.
- I love programming. None of these projects are time sensitive and they are only for me. I would rather be programming that evaluating the apps that are out there.
- None of the current apps are quite right. I have some specific requirements for these projects that are not quite fulfilled in the current offerings. This makes sense since those apps are normally built to appeal to the largest audience possible, while I only need to appeal to myself.
Here are my projects.
Budget – The system my wife and I currently use for our budget is part manual, part electronic. I have a spreadsheet with our monthly budget that I then print out for her. She uses the sheets to keep track of our actual spending throughout the month. I then take the completed sheets at the end of the month and reconcile everything for the next month.
This project is intended to replace the electronic part of the process but not the manual. My wife does much better with paper sheets in her hands rather than having an app to update. This is why sites like Mint or You Need A Budget don’t really work for us.
With that in mind, here are the features I want in this app:
- Allow me to indicate the income for the month
- Allow me to create expense categories
- Expenses will have a name, frequency, amount, and potentially a due date
- Expenses with a frequency longer than a month (quarterly, yearly, etc.) will be broken down monthly
- Expenses with a frequency longer than a month will accumulate a balance
- Expenses whose due date is shorter than the frequency will be broken up correctly. Example: A new yearly category is added but the next payment is actually due in 8 months. The monthly expense will be Amount / 8 until the due date, where it will change to Amount / 12.
- Show me a running total of how much I have left
- Print the sheets
- Allow me to reconcile the month by entering how much was spent in each category that month
- Allow me to shift money from one category to another to cover overages
Menu/Groceries – Planning meals is a struggle at my house. I want something that will simplify the process for us.
Here are the features I want in this app
- Allow me to create a recipe.
- A recipe will include a name, time to complete, instructions, and needed items.
- Allow me to create a menu in the future.
- Create a grocery list based on the menu.
- Allow me to indicate which items I already have.
This project could potentially include a phone app for the grocery list portion.
Pro Wrestling website – I am a big pro wrestling fan. I have been pretty much all my life.
I have had a goal ever since the WWE released the WWE Network. The network includes all past WWE/WCW/ECW pay-per-views. My goal has been to watch every one.
This project is to build a site to chronicle my progress towards this goal. I know I could do this with a WordPress blog. However, I want something a little more custom.
Here are the features I want:
- Allow me to enter the pay-per-view information.
- The pay-per-view will include the name, organization, date, and information on all the matches.
- A match will include the type, the participants, whether it is a title match, which title is on the line, and the winner.
- Allow me to upload a video with my thoughts on the pay-per-view.
- Allow me to list my 10 favorite pay-per-views.
- Allow me to list my 10 favorite matches.
K & M Tavern – I started this site several years ago intending to build a game club similar to a book club. I have neglected it over the years but will be getting back to it soon.
PC Gaming Academy – This is an online school I am building to help home school parents incorporate computer programming into their curriculum. I won’t be writing about it much on this site. You can check it out through the link.